Image Map

Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday and a Nomination...

It's BLACK FRIDAY, PEOPLE! AHHHH!!!!! I have to say, I have been perfectly content sitting in my jammies on my comfy couch with my warm coffee this morning...
Last year, I had the oh-so-intelligent idea of going to Kohls for their Black Friday deals at midnight. For the first time. By myself. Without a snack. I am sure you can see where this story is heading. Our Kohls is part of a shopping mall, and the line to get in stretched the full length of the mall. There were three cop cars poised to handle crazed shoppers. SERIOUSLY?! For some reason, I stayed. I ended up getting my deals, but I will never go again without a buddy and my own shopping bag! I fancy online shopping these days during the more insane times of year. There is no use getting into a fist fight over the last princess castle for my cousin. I'll let daytime television be in charge of that stuff! I have enough drama going in the hallways of my 5th grade building. :)

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for all that has been given to  me and the wonderful resources that I find on such fabulous teaching blogs! Sometimes, though, it is hard to get started with a post. It seems like I am writing to no one- empty cyberspace! I always become little girl-excited when I see a comment on my posts. :) I was so pleased when Heather stopped by from The Wild Rumpus to nominate me for a new blogger award! Thanks, Heather!!




According to Heather, the Liebster Blog Award is given to up-and-coming bloggers (less than 200 followers), by established bloggers, in order to recognize them, let them know they are appreciated, and to spread the word about new blogs. How nice!

The rules of the nomination are:

-You must post 11 random things about yourself.
-Answer the questions that the nominators set for you.
-Create 11 questions for the people you nominate.
-Choose 11 blogs you love (with less than 200 followers) and link them in your post.
-No tag back, (but please leave me a comment on this post with the URL to your Liebster Post so that I can learn more about you!)


FUN!!!!!

11 Random Facts About Lauren:

1. I did NOT eat paste as a child, and do not plan to do so in the future.
2. I watch FRIENDS episodes while I grade. It is the only show I know so well that I can actually get work accomplished while I watch. And yes, I still laugh out loud sometimes.
3. I am a homebody, and love having people to my house. :)
4. Movies for kids are so much better than movies for adults.
5. I am the eldest child in my family.
6. I consider banana bread a fruit and carrot cake a veggie. (I DO love the real stuff, too!)
7. I like to cook on the weekends.
8. I have a Cat named Caroline Catfish, after one of my favorite children's books. She is queen and rules the house.
9. I try very hard not to be, but I am messy. Very messy.
10. I am not afraid to act silly to make a lesson great!
11. I have taught third, fourth and fifth grade. I loved all of them!



Questions From Heather At The Wild Rumpus:

What is your best teaching memory? I love feeling successful as a teacher, and that comes by seeing my students succeed. I think my favorite was the first time I hosted an "Author's Tea." This was my very first year of teaching, and my students were so excited to show their families and reading buddies their 'published' work. I was so proud of them.

What is your worst teaching memory? I have dealt with some very difficult behavior from students very early in my career. These are tough for me to remember because, although I worked with these students in the best way I knew how, I felt very inexperienced. These situations sparked my curiosity for a variety of behavior management techniques in my classroom.

What made you decide to start a blog? After joining Teacher Pay Teachers and seeing the amazing blogs of my colleagues, I wanted to get in on the action! I love seeing and reading about all of the wonderful ideas and resources, as well as sharing mine!

What's your favorite season and why? I love fall. I love the way the air smells and the temperature is perfect. If it weren't for allergies, I would take it all year 'round!!

Do you have a teaching idol? Who and why? I'm not sure I could pick just one. I have been in so many different teaching situations that have exposed me to examples of fantastic teaching. I learn something new every day! I love learning from veteran teachers, and pull energy from the newbies!

Do you have any hobbies, and, if so, what's your favorite? When I have time, I like to do crafty things like scrapbook and make jewelry. Lately, my creative outlet has been my teaching resources for TPT!

Coffee or Tea? BOTH!!!
Dessert: chocolate or other? I like fruity dessert! Cobbler is yummy!

Snack: sweet or salty (Can you tell I haven't eaten yet this morning?!) Salty!

What were you prior to becoming a teacher? I was a college student and waitress/babysitter/office assistant! A part-time princess!

If you hadn't become a teacher, what would you have been? I could see myself being a sign-language interpreter (my minor) or another creative outlet.


11 Questions For My Nominees:
1.  You have a PLAN-FREE Saturday. What will you do?
2.  If you could only shop at ONE store for the next ten years, what would it be?
3.  Favorite school supply in/on your teacher desk?
4.  3 p.m. slump! What do you reach for?
5.  What is your favorite holiday?
6.  What is your favorite subject to teach, and why?
7.  What helped you most when you were a new teacher?
8.  What is one favorite classroom management tool that you use?
9.  Where is your favorite place to vacation?
10. Favorite kid quote?
11. What is the number one thing about teaching that they should have taught us in college?


AND THE NOMINEES ARE....(Drum roll, please.)
1.  Fumbling Through Fifth
2. Teaching in an Organized Mess
3. Tales from a 4th (and 5th) Grade Teacher
4. Miss A's Class Ideas
5. The Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher
6. Tales of This Fourth Grade Teacher
7. Math-n-spire
8. Mrs. McDonald's 4th Grade
9. From Behind the Lavender Door
10. Fabulously Fifth
11. Keepin' Afloat in 5th Grade

I am looking forward to your links and comments!
Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!!

Lauren

















2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the Liebster nominations and I'm your newest follower.

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you studied sing language interpretation! Thanks for your responses. Your blog name has to be one of the most creative out there--love it.

    ReplyDelete